Four out of five consumers use search engines to find local information. 50% of consumers who conduct a local search on their smartphone visit a store within one day. 18% of local searches on smartphones lead to a purchase within a day. With numbers like this, your business can't afford to ignore online business directories.
What is an online business directory?
An online business directory is a searchable online index of businesses, grouped according to category or type. These directories collate and present key information (name, address, contact details, hours of operation, photos, links to website, directions) in an easily understandable format. They may also include user functions such as the option to review the business or share information about it on social media platforms. The purpose of such directories is to help consumers become aware of, contact, locate and interact with businesses.
How do online business directories work?
Online business directories receive listing submissions from business owners. The information received is listed in a searchable format. To maximize the benefit of this service, a business needs to list on as many quality, relevant directories as possible. Each listing should include the business name, contact and address details, the website name and URL and a brief description of the business.
Why use a business directory?
- Greater visibility: Many people search for product information and services online. They often access the internet in search of local information. Listing with business directories allows you to connect with these customers based on the type and location of business they choose. Listing with several directories increases your visibility to different audiences.
- Become accessible: A business directory is the perfect means of showcasing your products and services. Your website becomes easily accessible to customers who conduct a local search to find a particular type of business.
- Help develop your brand: If you want your business to stand out, a business directory is a great place to include your social media details and encourage reviews. Each time a customer sees your business, it increases the awareness of your brand and improves your chances of getting business from them.
- Provide detailed information: An online business directory allows you to showcase the kind of service/product you provide, details about your working hours, your website links, important updates, a gallery of photos and testimonials of past or current customers. Users can click on your link and learn even more about your business.
- Be easily discovered: Multiple, accurate listings on different online directories increases your business's chances of being discovered when customers search for products/services your company supplies.
- Cost-effective promotion: Some local directories offer free listings, paid listings and package listings on multiple networks. Pricing can range from $29 to $499 per year. Considering that over 50% of consumers search for local business hours, address and directions on their smartphones, listing in a directory is a cost effective way to reach potential users of your service/products.
- Bring traffic flow to your website: Listing your business in web directories means customers can find you by following your website listing. It also improves your search engine ranking, providing more inbound links for relevant search results.
- Easily indexed by search engines: Online business directory listing sites use SEO strategies to help search engines find your business and give you the exposure you need.
Online business directories are a valuable asset for local business marketing. They make communication with prospects easier, improve your business' overall visibility, enhance its performance on search engines and create a better experience for potential customers. Whether you're a new start-up or a business that has been established for years, directories take your business to new horizons by helping you rank higher in both web and local search engines. You can seek the attention of potential leads and improve your business revenues, making directory listings a key component of any marketing strategy.
Interested in listing your business in web directories? Need help with your marketing strategies? Call us at (403) 456-0072 or email [email protected] Allow us to be your very own marketing department! Connect with our tightly-knit team of knowledgeable digital-first consultants, each eager to help your business grow. Contact Us today.